MetalJet D2+ 70 kV
The world's brightest home-lab X-ray source
Within the 5-30 μm spot-size range, the Excillum MetalJet D2+ delivers significantly higher brightness than any other available microfocus X-ray source on the market, and with an excellent spot quality. This makes it an ideal source for any microfocus application requiring shorter exposure times, higher throughput or better signal to noise.
With the introduction of Dynamic Adaptation technology the practical cathode lifetime has been further extended 2-4x, up to a full year of 24/7 operation depending on application.
Features and benefits
- Extreme microfocus source power
- Optional shutter
- Superior spot quality
- Optional dual-port mode
- Minimal maintenance
- User variable size and aspect ratio of spot
- LaB6 long-life cathode
- Very stable X-ray emission and spot position
- User-friendly Graphical User Interface
- Controlled through GUI or TCP/IP protocol
- Integrated radiation shielding1
- Adjustable take-off angle
- No external cooling water requirement
- Operated remotely from any computer
1) In order for the source to be fully shielded it needs to be operated with the shutter mounted and closed, otherwise the source naturally emit X-rays through the window and in the window region.
Liquid metal alloy
Min. focal spot size
~10 µm (~5 µm offered on request)
< 1 μm
Min. focus-object distance5
2) The room temperature liquid metal alloys supplied for the MetalJet source consist mainly of gallium, indium and tin. They have low reactivity and low toxicity but should be handled according to their safety data sheets and local regulations.
3) The actual power used is dependent on spot-size and voltage. However, maximum output power of the 70 kV high-voltage-generator is 300 W.
4) Standard deviation.
5) Without a shutter (24.8 mm with shutter).
6) Without a shutter (10.5° with shutter).
Available target alloys
7) Operation of ExAlloy-I2 requires that the MetalJet source is equipped with a heater system since the melting point is above room temperature. Due to this requirement the MetalJet sources with ExAlloy-I2 are under limited availability. Please contact us for further information.
Spot stability over 24 h
Spot shape example
Emission Spectra at 250 W, 70 kV, 20 µm (0.1 keV bin width)
The source consists of the head and the pump system with dimensions shown in the drawing. The head has to be mounted essentially straight above the pump system. The coupling is semi-rigid, allowing some movement of the source head.
In addition, the MetalJet D2+ 70 kV consists of two 4U (176 mm height) 19” rack electronics boxes and a floor standing air/water chiller (69×36×62 cm), that can be mounted up to 4m from the head and pump system.
Sources operating with ExAlloy I2 furthermore have heater jackets around parts in the alloy recirculation loop as well as an additional 3U (133 mm height), 19” rack mounted controller.
The source can be remotely operated through TCP/IP or directly through the GUI. The GUI can be operated on the source itself if it is equipped with monitor, keyboard and mouse, or on most computer platforms with a TCP/ IP connection to the source.
The source cannot be operated as a standalone unit and must be integrated into a system providing the proper interlock connections.
Mains: AC, single phase, 200-240 V, 16 A, 50/60 Hz.
Ambient: 20-25°C (stable within ± 0.2°C for optimal source stability), max 85% relative humidity.
70 kV performance examples
Nominal X-ray spot size8[µm]
E-beam power [W]
Ga Kα (9.2 keV) peak brightness [photons/(s mm2 mrad2)]
Ga Kα (9.2 keV) radiant flux
In Kα (24 keV) peak brightness
[photons/(s mm2 mrad2 )]
In Kα (24 keV) radiant flux
8) Actual e-beam spot is 40×10 and 80×20 μm line focus respectively, but the apparent X-ray spot is essentially circular.
Experiences with the Excillum MetalJet X-ray sources
Learn about some of our customers’ experiences with our state-of-the-art X-ray sources.
Questions about our products?
Speak to our experts
We have a growing organization and a network of partners with the capabilities and expertise to maximize the benefits of our technology in your application.
Julius Hållstedt, Ph.D.
Business Development, Analytical
Some X-ray methods using MetalJet D2+
Our MetalJet and NanoTube X-ray sources are designed to ensure the highest levels of performance and reliability. Whenever regular maintenance, troubleshooting or optimization are required, our team of highly experienced engineers is available to provide on-site or remote support in every market where our technologies are installed.